Pages

Monday 25 October 2010

Get me off this tiger

I want out. Yeah, the hard way's more rewarding if you survive it, but I really fucking want the easy way. Because we are the first, and we have no idea if that elusive milk-and-honey land that we've been telling each other about actually exists. Because we're deluded fools on a ship bound to nowhere. Because I've been swimming against the tide for a few months now, and I'm starting to feel like I'm drowning. Because I can't imagine how I could live my life like this.

And it's true, only a few hours ago, I was feeling happier about this than I have done in weeks, talking to a friend who really genuinely gets where I'm coming from. And it's true, I'm blaming aromanticism for completely other issues, screaming at myself that it's my identity to blame rather than confronting what's really going on. Yes, I have a crush that's becoming unignorable. Yes, I have no idea how I'd ever translate that into any sort of mutually beneficial relationship without my aromanticism flaring up. Yes, it kills me to see him go home with another guy. But it's more a standard story of unrequited love. If he really liked me, we could work something out. It's the fact that he doesn't like me (after, I should point out, spending almost no time with me socially) that makes all my old insecurities come screeching back with "YOU'RE DULL! YOU'LL NEVER BE AN INTERESTING PERSON!" Which, I should probably mention, is where a lot of my fears about aromanticism truly originate.

But sometimes you just need to rant, and lately, this blog has been nothing more than a place I can scream. And scream.

Construction will come tomorrow. And I mean actual construction, not this crappy, fake 'blame it on the identity' thing. I mean actually what's bothering me, and why, and what I can do about it.

For now, just remember that feelings make you stronger. Remember that feeling you had as you were leaving and you shook your crush's partner's hand, staring into his face and wishing him a good night, smiling.

That's a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment